Homework enhances students’ learning, improves achievement and develops study skills
– and is an integral part of the learning process at JQA.
An assigned task by teachers, homework is to be completed outside of class/ Academy time: these tasks have been carefully planned and integrated into all curriculum areas.
Students should have homework set on a regular basis that is meaningful and appropriate to their age and stage.
Homework is set in order to:
- Consolidate and refine learning, skills and understanding
- Deepen learning enabling students to make connections with what they are learning, recent scholarship and the world around them
- Prepare students for future learning.
Supporting your child with home learning:
- Watch this short video that gives practical strategies to support with home learning
- Build homework into your child’s evening routine
- Use the Home School Collaboration documents in the Home Learning section of the Piota app to connect with the learning your child is currently completing – you can test them on key concepts, get ideas for activities to do together and direct them to videos and resources to enrich their knowledge
- Provide a quiet space for your child to complete any homework set
- Ensure they have an appropriate device to complete online work via Teams and Word and access to the internet
- Check to see if their homework is completed by reviewing their planner
- Check with their tutor if you have any concerns regarding homework. You can contact them directly via email from the Piota app.
Homework MICrosoft TEAMS GROUPS
Each cohort has a Microsoft Teams group where all homework is set for each subject. All students must have access to Microsoft Teams and Microsoft Word on a device.
If you are using a mobile phone to submit homework Assignments, watch this short guide here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7HXY7uR8Q8
If you are using a laptop/desktop to submit homework Assignment, watch this short guide here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCjisF8Z4cI
request a device
Most homework can be completed by having the Microsoft Teams app on a mobile phone (see video above). However, we do have a limited amount of laptops for loan for parents/carers whose child has no access to a device at all. You can request a device for your child by completing the form here: https://forms.office.com/e/idiVTB3ABG
Below are the Homework Teams groups for every year group:
Home LeARNING COLLABORATION DOCUMENTS
We have produced documents to support parents and carers to test their child on key knowledge, direct them to additional materials and resources and get ideas to do family activities to enhance their learning in key topics.
These can be found on our Piota app in the Home Learning section.
It is very easy for parents/carers to use these to support their child. Below are some tips:
- ‘Tell me about’ – ask your child to tell you about or define the key concepts. For example, ‘tell me about flat colours. What are they?’ You can check and correct your child’s answer via this section.
- Websites and blogs – you can watch and read these together to further build knowledge and understanding.
- Assessments – prepare for tests together by knowing what will be assessed
- Family learning opportunities – ideas of activities to do together at weekends to further build curiosity into a topic or subject area.